Florida CDL Handbook: School Bus Only
11. Pre-Trip Vehicle Inspection
- 11.1. All Vehicles
- 11.2. External Inspection (School Bus/Truck/Tractor)
- 11.3. School Bus Only
- 11.4. Trailer
- 11.5. Coach/Transit Bus
- 11.6. Taking the CDL Pre-trip Inspection Test
- In addition to checking for spare electrical fuses (if equipped), three red reflective triangles, and a properly charged and rated fire extinguisher, school bus drivers must also inspect the following emergency equipment:
- Three red-burning flares (fusees).
- Nine-item first-aid kit.
- In addition to checking the lighting indicators listed in Section 10.2 of this manual, school bus drivers must also check the following lighting indicators (internal panel lights):
- Alternately flashing amber lights indicator, if equipped.
- Alternately flashing red lights indicator.
- Strobe light indicator, if equipped.
- In addition to checking the lights and reflective devices listed in Section 10.2 of this manual, school bus drivers must also check the following (external) lights and reflectors:
- Strobe light, if equipped.
- Stop arm light, if equipped.
- Alternately flashing amber lights, if equipped.
- Alternately flashing red lights.
- If equipped, check the stop arm to see that it is mounted securely to the frame of the vehicle. Also, check for loose fittings and damage.
- Check that the entry door is not damaged, operates smoothly, and closes securely from the inside.
- Hand rails are secure and the step light is working, if equipped.
- The entry steps must be clear with the treads not loose or worn excessively.
- If equipped with a handicap lift, look for leaking, damaged, or missing parts and explain how lift should be checked for correct operation. Lift must be fully retracted and latched securely.
- Make sure that all emergency exits are not damaged, operate smoothly, and close securely from the inside.
- Check that any emergency exit warning devices are working.
- Look for broken seat frames and check that seat frames are firmly attached to the floor.
- Check that seat cushions are attached securely to the seat frames.