Highway Risks & Crash Statistics
Gainesville is the largest city in North Central Florida with a population of more than 127,000. The University of Florida is the largest employer.
If you received a traffic ticket in Gainesville, you are probably angry and upset but consider this:
- In 2012, the City of Gainesville recorded 3,166 traffic crashes with 187 of those being alcohol related.
- The University of Florida recorded 54 crashes with 3 being alcohol related.
- Gainesville is home to both the University of Florida and Santa Fe College.
- The University of Florida is the eighth largest university in America with almost 50,000 students many of whom are teens away from home and their parent's rules for the first time.
- Gainesville straddles Interstate 75, carrying up to 76,000 vehicles per day. The portion of I-75 within Florida's borders is considered (based on number of deaths per mile) to be the 15th deadliest highway in America.
What would the driving situation be like if the traffic rules in Alachua County weren't enforced?
According to the statistics below, overall, Alachua County's traffic problems are becoming worse rather than better.
|Alachua County Crash Stats||2011||2012||Percent Change||3-Year Avg.|
|Total Number of Motor Vehicle Crashes||3,799||4,606||+21.24%||4,222|
|Alcohol Related Fatalities||9||7||-22.22%||6|
|Alcohol Related Injuries||113||115||+1.77%||111|
To start your traffic school course, choose a course format below. All courses cover the same material and take the same amount of time to complete.
Directions to Alachua County Clerk of the Court Traffic Bureau: