Fifty Vehicle Wisconsin Pile-up
March 21, 2014
Here’s an interesting video from a Wisconsin traffic camera that shows the anatomy of a multi-car pile-up.
- While viewing this video, take a look at all the mistakes these drivers made:
- Driving in unplowed lanes.
- Driving too fast for conditions.
- Not watching the road ahead.
- Not leaving enough clear space between vehicles ahead.
- Not slowing down when approaching the crash site.
- Not seeming to realize that swerving around the crashed vehicles will cause your vehicle to spin madly out of control on the snow and ice.
After a crash:
- Illuminate your hazard lights.
- If it’s driveable, try to remove your vehicle from the travel lanes.
- If you get out of the vehicle, get off the roadway! People standing in the roadway were almost hit again by other crashing vehicles.
- Don’t stand in the oncoming lane of traffic.