Florida Motorcycle Handbook: Florida's Move Over Law
1. DHSMV Contact Information
- 1.1. Contact Information
- 1.2. Appointments
- 1.3. Emergency Contact Information
- 1.4. Florida Organ and Tissue Donor Program
- 1.5. Florida's Move Over Law
- 1.6. Florida Department of Transportation's Free 511 Traffic Information Service
Florida's Move Over Law protects law enforcement officers, emergency workers and tow truck drivers stopped along roadways while performing their jobs. Violating the Move Over Law puts both yourself and a public safety professional at risk of injury or death and can result in fines and points on your license.
- On a two-lane roadway, you are required to slow to a speed that is 20 miles per hour less than the posted speed limit.
- If the speed limit is 20 miles per hour or less, you must slow down to five miles per hour.
- If you are driving on an interstate or roadway with multiple lanes of travel in the same direction, and you approach an emergency or law enforcement vehicle parked along the roadway, you must vacate the lane closest to that vehicle as soon as it is safe to do so. If you are not able to safely move over, you must slow down to a speed of 20 MPH below the posted speed limit unless directed otherwise by a law enforcement officer.
For more information, please visit www.flhsmv.gov/fhp.
Check out our Customer Reviews!