How The IIHS Films Crash Tests
April 28, 2014
In an automobile crash, events happen too fast for the eye to see. To see the details in a crash, the action has to be slowed down tremendously. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), has produced a very interesting video showing the process used to film their crash tests so that safety engineers can fully understand what happens to a vehicle and its occupants in a crash. View more: Inside IIHS: Crash test photography
Volvo Introduces Inflatable Child Safety Seat
April 24, 2014
Volvo motors has introduced a new inflatable child safety seat that weighs half as much as a typical car seat and is self inflating. The car seat, which still needs to meet government testing, can fit into a backpack allowing parents to easily transport it from their car for use in an airplane. Read more: Volvo Unveils Inflatable Child Safety Seat Concept, Parents Everywhere Stoked
Wrong Way Crashes On The Rise
March 24, 2014
Mostly drunk but also some disoriented drivers are traveling in the wrong lane with deadly consequences.Last year in Florida at least 70 Floridians died in wrong way driving crashes. Do you know what to do if you encounter a wrong-way driver? Read more: 70 Floridians died last year in wrong-way wrecks
Fifty Vehicle Wisconsin Pile-up
March 21, 2014
Here’s an interesting video from a Wisconsin traffic camera that shows the anatomy of a multi-car pile-up.
- While viewing this video, take a look at all the mistakes these drivers made:
- Driving in unplowed lanes.
- Driving too fast for conditions.
- Not watching the road ahead.
- Not leaving enough clear space between vehicles ahead.
- Not slowing down when approaching the crash site.
- Not seeming to realize that swerving around the crashed vehicles will cause your vehicle to spin madly out of control on the snow and ice.
After a crash:
- Illuminate your hazard lights.
- If it’s driveable, try to remove your vehicle from the travel lanes.
- If you get out of the vehicle, get off the roadway! People standing in the roadway were almost hit again by other crashing vehicles.
- Don’t stand in the oncoming lane of traffic.
Map A Car Crash
March 14, 2014
Curious about traffic crashes in your area? This website allows you to select and review details on every crash in the US between 1 January 2001 and 31 December 2009. See more: http://map.itoworld.com/road-casualties-usa