Which States Have The Worst Drivers?
December 11, 2014
The worst drivers by state list has been updated by the folks at Car Insurance Comparison.com. No matter how safe a driver you may be, you’re still at risk of having a crash if the other drivers in your state drive badly and, unfortunately, the price you pay for insurance is determined by that driving environment. The worse the driving situation, the more your insurance will cost.
How worst drivers score was determined
To determine each state’s rating, the surveyors looked at the latest data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) in the following categories:
- Fatalities Rate per 100 Million Vehicle Miles Traveled
- Failure to Obey (Percentage of Fatal Crashes that involved Traffic Signals, Not Wearing Seat Belts, and Driving with an Invalid Driver License)
- Drunk Driving (Percentage of Fatal Crashes that Involved Alcohol)
- Speeding (Percentage of Driving Fatalities that were Speed-Related)
- Careless Driving (Pedestrian & Bicyclist Fatalities per 100,000 Population)
The data was tabulated into one single score per state with the worst states receiving the lowest score.
To see where your state ranked and which states scored worst, read: Worst Drivers By State