Florida Driver Handbook: Emissions - Please Do Not TamperOrder now
7. Vehicle Equipment
- 7.1. Equipment Standards
- 7.2. Other Equipment Standards
- 7.3. Equipment Not Permitted
- 7.4. Additional Equipment Required on Certain Vehicles
- 7.5. Limitations on Towing
- 7.6. Limitations on Loading; Securing the Load
- 7.7. Projecting Load
- 7.8. Anti-Locking Brake System (ABS)
- 7.9. Emissions - Please Do Not Tamper
- 7.10. Vehicle Licensing
- 7.11. Proving Ownership and Insurance Coverage
- 7.12. Applying For Title, License Plates and Registration
It is illegal to tamper with, remove, or cause not to work any pollution control device on your vehicle. Those who do are guilty of a first or second degree misdemeanor, depending on the offense. Tampering with emissions control devices damages your vehicle and can cause the following:
- Increased air pollution.
- Lower gas mileage and less vehicle efficiency.
- More maintenance costs.
- Respiratory (breathing) difficulties.