Florida Driver Handbook: Restriction and Endorsement Codes on Florida LicensesOrder now
2. The Florida Driver License
- 2.1. Definitions
- 2.2. Who Needs a Florida License?
- 2.3. Who Does Not Need a Florida License?
- 2.4. Florida Classified Driver Licenses
- 2.5. Identification Requirements
- 2.6. Parent's Consent for Minors
- 2.7. Traffic Law Substance Abuse Education
- 2.8. Testing
- 2.9. Physical and Mental Requirements
- 2.10. Restriction and Endorsement Codes on Florida Licenses
- 2.11. Selective Service
- 2.12. Sexual Offenders and Sexual Predators
- 2.13. Career Offender
- 2.14. Voluntary Contributions
2.10.1 - Restriction Codes
- Corrective Lenses means a person must wear corrective lenses at all times when operating a vehicle.
- Outside Rearview Mirror (Left Side) means the vehicle the person is driving must have a left outside rearview mirror on the car.
- Business Purposes Only means a driving privilege that is limited to any driving necessary to maintain livelihood, including driving to and from work, necessary on-the-job driving, driving for educational purposes, and driving for church and for medical purposes.
- Employment Purposes Only means a driving privilege that is limited to driving to and from work and any necessary on-the-job driving required by an employer or occupation.
- Daylight Driving Only means the person can only drive during daylight hours.
- Automatic Transmission means the person can only drive a vehicle that has automatic transmission.
- Power Steering means the person must drive a vehicle with power steering.
- Directional Signals means a person must drive a vehicle equipped with mechanical signals.
- Grip on Steering Wheel means the vehicle must be equipped with a knob or grip on the steering wheel.
- Hearing Aid means the person must wear a hearing aid at all times while driving a CDL vehicle.
- Seat Cushion means the person must use a seat cushion at all times while driving.
- Hand Controls or Pedal Extension means the vehicle must be equipped with hand controls or a pedal extension.
- Left Foot Accelerator means the vehicle must be equipped with a left foot accelerator.
- Probation-Interlock Device means the vehicle must be equipped with a device that locks the ignition.
- Other Restrictions means there are other restrictions imposed on this license.
- Medical Alert Bracelet means the person wears a medical alert bracelet.
2.10.2 - Restriction Codes Appearing on Commercial Driver Licenses Only
- Vehicles W/O Air Brakes - issued to those who have not passed the required written and/or skills tests for the operation of vehicles with air brakes.
- CDL-Intrastate Only (CMV) - issued to those who are authorized to operate commercial motor vehicles inside Florida only.
- Bus Only (CMV) - issued to persons who are only authorized to operate a commercial vehicle that is a bus.
- CMV<26,001 LBS Gross Vehicle Weight Rating
- No Tractor/Trailers
- No Class A Passenger Vehicles
- No Class B Passenger Vehicles V. CDL Medical Variance
NOTE: Drivers with a restriction on their license who do not comply with the requirements of the restriction can be issued a citation for violation of restriction and could be suspended. Offenses of this type are a second degree misdemeanor, except for violations of restriction code X.
2.10.3 - Endorsement Codes
These endorsements are placed on Class A, B, or C commercial driver licenses.
H Placarded Hazmat - issued to those who have passed the required written tests and who will transport placarded hazardous materials. N Tank Vehicles - issued to those who have passed the required written tests and who will drive tank vehicles. P Passengers - issued to those who have passed the required written and skills tests and who will drive passenger vehicles. T Double/Triple Trailers -issued to those who have passed the required written tests and who will drive double or triple tractor trailer vehicles. S School Bus - issued to those who have passed the required written and skills tests and who will drive a school bus. X Placarded Hazmat & Tank Vehicles - issued to those who qualify for endorsements H and N.