Florida Driver Handbook: VeteransOrder now
3. Obtaining Your License/ID Card
- 3.1. Learner's Driver License
- 3.2. Class E License
- 3.3. License Renewal
- 3.4. License Replacement
- 3.5. Motorcycle Only License
- 3.6. Motorcycle Also License
- 3.7. Identification Cards
- 3.8. Change of Address
- 3.9. Name Changes
- 3.10. Non-Immigrants
- 3.11. Veterans
3.11.1 - Veteran Designation on License or Identification Card
Any honorably discharged U.S veteran may have a veteran designation "V" placed on his or her driver license. The veteran will need to provide a copy of their DD214 or other approved discharge document at the time of issuance.
The veteran designation may be added for $2.00 as long as the current driver license or identification card is surrendered and there are no other license transactions or changes. The replacement driver license or identification card fee is waived; however, the Tax Collector service fees would apply if the transaction is completed in a Tax Collector office.
When other license transactions are being completed at the same time the veteran designation may be added, a $1.00 fee is charged for the veteran designation along with the other transaction fees. The Tax Collector service fee would apply if the transaction is completed in a Tax Collector office.
3.11.2 - Exempt Fees for 100% Disabled U.S. Veterans
Any veteran honorably discharged from the Armed Forces who was issued a valid identification card by the Department of Veteran's Affairs, or a letter of disability determination from the Veterans Administration and has been determined by the Veteran's Administration to have a 100% service-connected disability, is exempt from paying certain driver license fees such as initial license fees and renewal fees. All identification card fees are exempt.
TEST YOUR KNOWLEDGE
- What is the minimum age to obtain a Florida Learner's License? (See section 3.1)
- What is the minimum age to obtain a Florida Class E License? (See section 3.2)
- If you failed to answer a traffic summons, would you be able to renew your license? (See section 3.3)
- If you lose your Florida driver license and need a replacement license, where do you apply for it? (See section 3.4)
- What is required to add a motorcycle endorsement to your Florida driver license? (See sections 3.5 & 3.6)
- What is the minimum age that a person can be issued a Florida identification card? (See section 3.7)
- What is the issuance period of a Florida identification card issued to a person age 5-14? (See section 3.7)
- You must obtain a new license showing the new address within how many days of moving? (See section 3.4.2)
- What document(s) are required to change your name on your Florida driver license or identification card? (See section 3.9)
- How do honorably discharged veterans get a Veteran Designation "V" added to their driver license or identification card? (See section 3.11)