Florida Driver Handbook: Identification CardsOrder now
3. Obtaining Your License/ID Card
- 3.1. Learner's Driver License
- 3.2. Class E License
- 3.3. License Renewal
- 3.4. License Replacement
- 3.5. Motorcycle Only License
- 3.6. Motorcycle Also License
- 3.7. Identification Cards
- 3.8. Change of Address
- 3.9. Name Changes
- 3.10. Non-Immigrants
- 3.11. Veterans
If you need an identification card, you can apply at any driver license or Tax Collector licensing agent office. Persons holding a driver license who wish to obtain a Florida identification card must surrender their driver license. Section 322.08(6), F.S. prohibits a person from holding both a driver license and an identification card. To obtain an identification card, you must:
- Be five (5) years of age or older. Any person, regardless of age, can be issued an identification card if applying for a disabled parking permit
- Present required identification. **See section 2 for a list of acceptable primary identification. (If your name has changed you will need to provide approved documents establishing your new name. See section 3.9)
- Provide proof of your Social Security number (unless one has never been issued). See section 2 for acceptable proof of social security number
- Provide proof of residential address. (Two documents will be required) See section 2 for acceptable proof of residential address
The card will contain your color photograph, full name, sex, address, date of birth, and other data DHSMV may require. Identification cards issued to persons 5 to 14 years of age will be valid for four years; all others will be valid for eight years.
Any non-immigrant holding a driver license or identification card who needs a renewal or replacement driver license or identification card must apply in person. See section 3.10.
NOTE: Expiration dates may vary for identification cards issued to Non-Immigrants.
3.7.1 - Identification Cards for Homeless Persons
Persons that can provide a letter from a local homeless shelter verifying the customer is homeless may be issued an identification card at no cost, providing they meet the identification card issuance requirements listed in section 3.7.
Here are some merchant reviews from past customers sharing their overall shopping experience.