Florida Driver Handbook: Electing to Attend Traffic SchoolOrder now
8. Driving Schools
- 8.1. Traffic Law Substance Abuse Education Course Providers
- 8.2. Third Party Tester - Driver License Exams
- 8.3. Advanced Driver Improvement Courses
- 8.4. Basic Driver Improvement Courses
- 8.5. Electing to Attend Traffic School
- 8.6. Florida Licensed DUI Programs
- 8.7. Mature Driver Insurance Courses
Drivers with a Class A, B, or C license, or drivers charged with exceeding the speed limit by more than 30 mph may not make an election under this subsection. If, as a result of a moving violation, you elect to attend and complete a basic driver improvement course, you will receive the following benefits:
- Your insurance rates cannot go up and your policy cannot be cancelled because of this violation, unless this involved a crash where you were at fault.
- Points may not be added to your driver license record, adjudication of guilt is withheld. You may not make an election under this subsection if you have made this election in the preceding 12 months. A person may make no more than five elections in a lifetime. To determine if you are eligible to make an election to attend traffic school, check our web site at www.flhsmv.gov.
Within 30 days from the date you received the traffic citation and prior to attending class, you must:
- Inform the Clerk of Court in the county where you received the citation that you want to go to traffic school, and
- Pay an election fee to the Clerk of Court in the county where you received the citation.
You may contact the traffic school of your choice to register for class. The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles must approve the course. Traffic schools are listed in your local telephone directory under "driving instruction" or "traffic schools." Approved course providers are also listed below. To locate an approved on-line basic driver improvement course, refer to your local telephone directory, or contact the course providers listed below.
A full list of your options for satisfying your traffic citation is on the back of the citation. You are required to choose one of the three options within 30 days of receiving the citation.
An up to date list of approved course providers can be found on our web site at http://www.flhsmv.gov/ddl/drivingcourses.html.
Here are some merchant reviews from past customers sharing their overall shopping experience.