Florida Driver Handbook: LitteringOrder now
4. Driving Privilege
- 4.1. Driving a Motor Vehicle in Florida is a Privilege You Earn
- 4.2. Point System
- 4.3. Red Light Cameras/Infractions
- 4.4. Mandatory Restriction for Minors
- 4.5. Zero Tolerance
- 4.6. Driving While Under the Influence
- 4.7. Other Serious Violations of the License Law
- 4.8. Administrative Hearings
- 4.9. Florida Motor Vehicle Insurance Laws
- 4.10. Traffic Crashes
- 4.11. Littering
- 4.12. Road Damage
Drivers are responsible for any littering from their vehicles. Use ashtrays for cigarettes and litter bags for trash while riding in motor vehicles. Empty ashtrays and litter bags only into trash cans. Littering is a crime. People who throw trash on public streets and highways can be fined up to $500 or jailed up to 60 days. You can be charged with a first-degree misdemeanor and fined up to $1,000 if dumping more than 15 pounds of trash.
The court may also require you to pick up litter along roadways.